Graphic Designer, Book and Gift
Gibbs Smith Publisher is seeking a Graphic Designer for its Book and Gift segment. This position is responsible for the design execution of books and products on the Gibbs Smith Book and Gift lists, from layout through final approval.
GS designers must have advanced skills in the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator) and in print and digital production. They must be well versed in long-format document creation and management, as well as HTML and CSS.
A GS designer must have excellent communication and collaboration skills and be naturally proactive in their job tasks. They are expected to exercise a growth-mindset and be efficient and accurate in all design work. A GS designer should contribute to our strong culture that includes accountability, hard work, innovation, and collaboration.
SPECIFIC JOB TASKS (In No Particular Order):
- Interpret and execute the design of approximately 30 book covers and interiors per year across various adult and children's categories, from text-heavy projects to completely photographic/illustrative layouts and novelty formats
- Interpret and execute the design of numerous gift products across a variety of categories
- Review and ready books and gift products for print and digital release
- Create various sales and marketing assets, including but not limited to seasonal catalogs, book sales PDFs, web banners, etc.
- Produce e-books to spec and on time
- Support and assist the Senior Art Director as needed
- Provide design assistance to and work collaboratively with other graphic designers, editorial, production, marketing, and sales departments
- Organize and archive files and serve as the archive contact for the company
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Proficiency in graphic design software with a focus on clean text and object styling
- Solid knowledge of design principles and ability to communicate design choices clearly
- Ability to evaluate choices critically with the reader’s needs in mind
- Ability to execute projects on time with excellent multitasking skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work meticulously under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to take direction and adapt to changing situations
- The ideal candidate will be process-driven and able to carry out responsibilities with minimal guidance after training
- A dynamic portfolio showing creative, design, and software skills is needed
- A minimum two years of comparable work experience is needed
- A BFA or Bachelor’s in art, graphic design, or a related field is preferred
Senior Art Director, Book & Gift
This position is full time, and offers full benefits such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k), and unlimited paid time off. The ideal candidate would work out of our Layton, UT.
Gibbs Smith is a respected independent book publisher and distributor who has been in business for more than 50 years publishing illustrated books in categories such as design, cooking, and children’s. We also have a robust gift product line and a subsidiary company, Gibbs Smith Education.
Gibbs Smith is an employee-owned, B Corp certified independent publisher and distributor. We positively impact the communities we serve, including employee-owners, local communities, the book and education industries, and planet Earth. We commit to carbon neutrality and reduce what we can and offset what we are not yet able to. Our physical office facilities, business travel, production/printing, and outbound shipping are all carbon neutral.
Send Email to Gibbs Smith HR Dept