Gibbs Smith does not accept paper submissions through the mail. All unsolicited queries, submissions, and correspondence will be via e-mail. Due to the number of submissions we receive, please note that it is our policy to only respond if we are interested in exploring your project. We will not return materials and are not responsible for any loss or damage for items submitted.
Our main emphasis is on interior design, architecture, children's, and cookbooks. Additionally, we accept submissions in the following subjects: arts and crafts, western humor with general appeal, general humor, and gift books.
For the above subjects, we welcome a proposal including:
- a description of the subject
- an analysis of the market
- author's qualifications for writing the book
- how the author will help sell and promote the book, including online presence and outreach
- an outline of contents
- sample writing
If photographs or illustrations are a major component, attach a PDF or jpegs showing samples. Maximum size of attachments is 3 MB. We will invite the complete submission only if we are interested. For nonfiction subjects other than those listed above, send a query letter only. We will invite the submission only if we are interested.
We accept submissions for children's activity books, board books, and picture books. Submit a detailed outline, a writing sample, and an illustration sample (where appropriate) via email to the address below. We will invite the entire manuscript submission only if we are interested. Activity book manuscripts should contain fewer than 15,000 words. (For middle-grade children's fiction, see our fiction guidelines.)
Address all children's queries to Acquisitions Team and submit via email to: debbie.uribe at gibbs-smith.com
WE DO NOT ACCEPT
We are NOT accepting poetry submissions at this time. We are NOT accepting fiction submissions at this time
- You should receive a confirmation by e-mail that your query has been successfully submitted.
- We will respond only to submissions in which we are interested. If we would like further materials or information, we will contact you within 12 weeks.
- If disk or paper submissions are received, they will be recycled, and we will respond only if we are interested.
- Your name and e-mail address should appear on the title page of each manuscript.
- We do accept multiple submissions.
- Our current catalog can be found on our website.
We enjoy partnering with companies to create custom design and architecture books as marketing pieces, where the client purchases a quantity of copies and we, as the publisher, also sell the book to retailers, wholesalers, and Amazon.
What story do you want to tell? Contact us to talk about the options